Monday 2 May 2011

The Late Late Show

... is a TV programme in Ireland. I saw Tony Blair on it once, but that's another story.

Some news happened today. For anyone currently under a rock, Osama bin Laden is dead. Living in newspaperland as I do, this has taken up quite a lot of my thought processes today. For example, we threw out all the other obits for several pages of official obituary and retrospectives. Doesn't that kind of count as an honour? What if fundamentalists cut it out for their scrapbooks?

The one thing I'm definitely not OK with is the celebrations. Not so much over here as in America. Every time there's a flag-burning or an anti-west rally or suchlike, people over here are scandalised. Everyone was very uneasy about the Lockerbie Bomber's joyful reception in Libya. If you're going to take that kind of moral highground, I'm afraid you can't then have massive parties outside the White House because someone's died. It's just not on.

Anyway, it's pretty late (clever title reference!) so I'm going to bed on a disapproving note tonight.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment